Found two miles north down a dusty road from the tiny settlement of Lorimers on Middle Caicos are the ruins of Haulover Plantation. Founded by British Military Doctor John Lorimer in 1791, this plantation mainly produced cotton, but experiments with sisal were also carried out. When granted to Dr. John Lorimer, the land that became Haulover Plantation originally consisted of 504 acres, but the plantation was expanded when taken over by Wade Stubbs of Wades Green at the time of Dr. John Lorimers death.
The eastern side of Middle Caicos where Haulover Plantation is located was the center of the cotton industry in the Turks and Caicos and the area was initially quite successful. However, by the late 1700s, infestations of the boll weevil and soil depletion put an end to the boom days.
Today, only field walls, partial buildings, an interesting open well, and most prominently, the kitchen, remain of Haulover Plantation. There’s not as much to see at this plantation as compared with Wades Green Plantation on North Caicos, but it’s worth a visit for the adventurer or history buff.
Haulover Plantation is located quite a distance away from the other attractions and settlements on Middle Caicos, so be sure to bring plenty of drinking water as the closest shop is miles away. A 1500 foot unsurfaced walking path leads from the road through the bushy vegetation to the main plantation ruins.
To get to Haulover Plantation, follow the paved road from the village of Bambarra towards Lorimers. Turn left onto the unpaved road directly before the village of Lorimers and continue for about 1.8 miles. A small sign and the start of the walking path will be on your left.
Haulover Plantation is a protected historical site. It is illegal to steal, vandalize or damage any artifact or structure.